Friday, May 4, 2012

Don't stop me now!

We sat with our chins on our hands resting lightly on his bed with legs crossed and in shorts. The other two clambered onto the soft mattress I imagined to be psychedelic in colour, chins in their palms, dreamy smiles plastered on their faces as if induced by drugs and other young stuff. I imagined them wearing shades with cellophane for lenses, framed with cheap, immutable plastic and a ring of flowers that crowned our heads in hippie fashion. Nothing seemed too elaborate, too implausible or out of this world - all was groovy and groovy indeed. We outlined drum beats and bass lines with our warm, lively fingers the way I imagined children of the 60's and 70's would with their creaking ones. But as there was in ours, there would be a love in their eyes - a love that did not require reciprocation but communalisation; a love that came through in a familiar lyric in an old song because love was a recognised remedy for any war, for any spell of ill-favour at that time. We were children finding ourselves displaced in a time that had no use for our love. & I still wish I were a punk rocker with flowers in my hair; I was born too late in a world that doesn't care. To Queen, Elvis Presley, the Beatles we hummed we sang we felt and we bled. And to which, most importantly, we loved.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment