Wednesday, August 26, 2009

and then we grew up and then we grew old

TGFLiterature



This Friday is 'Be Yourself Day'.

We've been told to dress up as what we wish to be in the future.

I. Hate. That.

"what I didn't understand was how dreaming had anything to do with growing up."
- all Broken Up and Dancing, Kelvin Tan


As if our future hasn't already been shoved into our faces enough, we now have to play 'pretend'; pretend that we're not a loser. pretend that the castles we build in the air will materialise and astonish.

What's even sadder is that 280809 will highlight this fact:
people almost never get what they want their whole lives.The teachers are told to dress up as their childhood ambitions, like hey, a Rocket Scientist, or wow, the King of the world.

But no, instead, they settled for a teaching job.

They settled. oh, how they Compromised. They settled for Less.

They Settled.

when I grow up,
I wanna be famous,
I wanna be a Star,
I wanna be in movies.
When I grow up,
I wanna see the world,
drive nice cars,
I wanna have groupies.
- When I grow up, PCD


maybe someday we'll know the truth.
the truth about life.
the truth about death.

and the truth about promise.

2 comments:

  1. i wanna have boobies. :)
    i know. i'm going to dress up as exactly what no one wants to become.
    i'm coming as a hobo, nat, god help me!

    but can anyone really tell me i'm not allowed to aspire to become a hobo? like mrs N said, maybe that's perfectly natural?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey nat,i clicked on your link on mansi's blog to get here.i like how introspective your posts are.
    i hate that too.it is saddening and even pathetic for teachers to come dressed as anything other than what they are,where they are in their lives now,unless of course,like mrs N,they are using this teaching job as a stepping stone to something else,something better and more in sync with their aspirations.
    i might come as a hobo too.if not -if i get my period- i am going to come in my uniform

    amanda tai

    ReplyDelete