Thursday, December 31, 2009

as thirty dialogues bleed into one.

TGF2009

oh human beings.

Always finding cause for celebration. For one month anniversaries, for the 1000th issue of a magazine, for the 130th year since it's founding. just because it's a pretty round number, three cheers for multiples of 10.

woohoo.

What are you celebrating, at the end of this 2009?

A year well spent in getting that good grade? New revelations, enlightenment? Fresh starts, new beginnings?

I have a lot to celebrate for, I know that. I'm fortunate; food, water, shelter, family, friends, my life could be worse. I know that. New years just aren't that big of a deal to me. No bitter cynicism intended here whatsoever. It just seems...

excessive. Much like celebrating our 130th with extra fireworks.

Counting down to the new year is no big deal to me. If you consider it seriously enough, what is even the cause for such rambunctious excitement? Food for thought.

To me, counting down to the new year is always a 'have to'. Never a 'want'. I 'have to' because well, everyone else seems to take it pretty darn seriously. I 'have to' because it's family bonding 101. Don't get me wrong, I like doing this every year. But if for some reason we didn't one year, I don't think I'd miss it.

Tell me this isn't just me.

I'd much rather be sitting at home with my sister, with 98.7fm playing the top 100 hits of the year on the radio, playing Blitz and getting my butt whooped by her, and then waiting to listen to the first song ever to be played in the new year. This was always the highlight of my new year's eve.

But who am I kidding.

It's the new year, kiddo. Moving on.

so everybody put your best suit or dress on
let's make believe that we are wealthy for just this once
lighting firecrackers off on the front lawn
as thirty dialogues bleed into one

So this is the new year.

- Death Cab for Cutie, The New Year

1 comment:

  1. ~so this is the new year
    and i don't feel any different
    the clanking of crystal
    explosions off in the distance (in the distance)~
    obligatory quoting of deathcab's lyrics in every new year post
    humans beings celebrate so they can occupy themselves with something "extra special" once in a while.counting down is probably more of a habit than a tradition,it's not rich enough to qualify as the latter

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete