Wednesday, January 20, 2010

some were born to sing the blues.

TGFGuitars

Hey gang. Haven't had a decent conversation with a real human being in forever. Leave a comment, tell me what's been going on with you guys. because I really want to know.

As payment, I'll tell you what's going on with me. Deal?

I sat for the art placement test on Tuesday and I think that pretty much marked the end of my artistic career. if I even had one to start with, that is. If I don't get in, I don't know what I'm gonna do. Everyone hold your breath okay?

The next day, I went to school to give the art teacher my 'portfolio', which basically consisted of 6-7 drawings that I hastily put together the day before.

(Just for the record, they asked for the portfolios just the day before the test and better yet, I only read the email on the morning of the day of the test itself. And no, I didn't already have a portfolio prettily made up in preparation to have it presented. Hence, the sloppy work.)

This is what went down after handing her my 'portfolio'. Why the apostrophes? Because it embarrasses me to have to call it that. Anyway:

Teacher: so, what is this?
Me: um, my 'portfolio'? (yes, I did do the air quotes thing)
Teacher: *takes 5 seconds to flip through it*
Me:
Teacher: any other medium? Like paintings...?
Me: (nervous laughter) no, just...drawings.
Teacher: ok so I will tell Mr Chia that I've seen your portfolio (hands it back to me)

So now I'm really confused, because I thought that she was going to keep it. But no, 5 seconds with it and she's done.

Me: so...okay.
Teacher: we really want to look after our students. So we do take note of a student's background; whether or not they've done art in the past
Me: uh huh, okay.
Teacher: because the A levels Coursework is not going to be...you know
Me: I know
Teacher: you know, it's not for leisure
Me: yeah I know
Teacher: in the past we've taken in students with no art background, as you know
Me: mmhmm okay
Teacher: but *something something* this year *something* so not so much
Me: yeah okay
Teacher: yah
Me: Is there any way to appeal if I don't get in?
Teacher: *pauses* (wince) case by case basis
Me: oh okay.
Teacher: (sympathetic smile) results will be out next week, so...yeah
Me: okay thank you.

Stupid teacher with her stupid patronizing smile. I don't need your sympathy.
I even tore out pages from my sketchbook for her. poo.

But yeah, that's it. I think I have a 30% chance, but that's me being ambitious. Till then, I'm going to delve into the world of stick figures. If I don't get in, then that's it. Stick figures all the way. Because drawing seriously will just remind me of how much it failed me. I've let myself down, but there's nothing more that I can do. nothing more I could have done.

So that's that.

6 comments:

  1. NAT!!! :( you dont need to be in an art class to keep drawing. keep your passion for the art going yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. phooey to that silly ole teacher. well, actually it isn't really her fault. ACK you shoulda read the email earlier!! ): blame fate. its okay i'm sure youdid well for placement test ANYWAY, so, ya boo sucks to her.
    rude ole' algernon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nat, you totally shouldn't listen to her! Like seriously, what a mean old hag! I think that no matter what, you should NEVER give up proper art because it's who you are and what YOU love. It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks! Go with your heart, and everything else, success included, will follow eventually!

    And even if you don't get into Art, I really think you should appeal! And when you write an essay or something, to appeal, you should be reallyreally honest with how you feel about art, and how you think that just because you don't do lame paintings or whatever, it doesn't mean you're not capable of doing it! Art isn't only really sophisticated shit. Art is EVERYWHERE. ALL around us. And I'm so sure that everyone knows that you're a GREAT artist. Your work is so REAL, and I LOVE it.

    But no matter what happens, don't give up what you love, okay? When God closes one door, He always opens another! :) So if this door closes annoyingly, LOOK FOR THAT OTHER DOOR! It is DEFINITELY around here somewhere!

    Stay strong and keep believing, Nat! Because I still believe in you! :) <3333

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be a huge biased comment, but it's biased reasonable and logically. RJC works on a system that bases everything on efficiency and Alevelresultspercentilesuccessrates. It cares shit about what the students really want or like the passion, the desire to pursue a field. Because it's a JC, it's so damn short sighted that it can't see more than 2 years you know.

    Don't let that get you down, I think your drawings are awesome :) and tbh, the 410 classshirt is the only class shirt that I wear outside like to go out haha.

    Keep going :)

    P.S: this is bobo btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nat, you rock, and don't let others tell you otherwise cos well, they don't Know you.




    <3 monkayyeman

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey nat! not sure if they've given you the result yet, but i do hope you got it :) you're an amazing artist, don't ever forget it!~
    claire

    ReplyDelete