Thursday, June 24, 2010

bring out the old guillotine, we'll show 'em what we all mean.

I miss being in a team.

To work together towards a common goal; late nights, scoldings from coaches, the stress, the what-ifs, the crying. If not successful, then Swesons and the night of the million cups of icecream. But if yes, then the cheering, the sweaty hugging and most of all, the "RAFFLES SHA!"s.

To have that common rival; and we ALL know who I'm referring to, don't we, guys? Exactly my point.

To share the same jokes, because we just know each other that well.

To sweat together, because being out of breath and being completely drenched in sweat never felt better than when you were doing it with your team mates.

To smell of shampoo and soap, sitting, tired, in the hotel room playing cards after a long, embarrassing day of hard training, with people younger than us, but more skillful than we could have imagined.

To suffer together; PT in the laundry room, a seriously pissed-off coach, smoking his cheap, smelly cigarettes, interrogating us like we were guilty.

My buddy asked me the other day if I missed tabletennis. I certainly don't miss not having to worry about going for trainings every 7.30pm of my life. I certainly don't miss having to play sheng jiang and finding myself stuck at the last table again. I certainly don't miss beating myself up over and over again because of tabletennis.

What I do miss is RGTT. Double champs. Kai Ying, Rui Min, Syl, Sam, Chloe, Lin, Yi Yang and Jing Jing. I miss my amazing singing partner, and doubles partner '10, Anthia Chng. What I do miss is Hui Qi. I miss Althea, my doubles partner (though we sucked) and Mavis, Hai Qing and Chun Qi, the girl who was afraid of her teletubbies. And I miss Clementi, the fei rou, and Yu Jing Pei, the best coach in the world. But then it got messy. How we'd go for trainings; morning, afternoon, night. I miss the smell of glue and rubber on my sweaty jersey after every training, and how I'd feel tired, but so happy. I miss how we'd invent stupid-looking services, that held no spin and no threat, but much laughter instead.

So if "together we're invincible", what happens when we're apart?

Now I've got Team Raffles, I guess. But I miss having the Raffles Girls' Table Tennis Team and I miss being part of Singapore Table Tennis Association. I miss knowing what I'm doing. And I miss knowing you, my friends.

Don't waste your time on me
you're already the voice in side my head
- Blink 182, I Miss You


4 comments:

  1. natttt :( read my blog. this post is so sad. i nearly cried when i read it. :(
    "together we are invincible" what happens when we are apart. sighs i agreeee.
    the stta that im in now, is not what it was last time. so i guess it doesnt make a diff whether u are part of it or not. because i dont feel like i belong in there either. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. you dont miss meeeee ):

    we've all gotta move on somehow, sometime. haha truth be told, i do miss rgtt hell loads. it's something that i would definitely trade my life for.

    yuuan

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruimin all I can say is that as long as there's something worth staying there for, then don't give up on it so quickly, because even the tiniest of reasons can make you regret leaving a whole lot. Besides, you've still got your friends/coaches that are worth going to trainings for right?

    Yiyun don't be daft, of course I miss you. I was just thinking more about what happened last year when clinching that double gold was so easy, and yet so difficult for my batch. I miss RGTT '06 the most though. Best year ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. rgtt o6.. i was sec3 back then and you were sec1!
    okaay i'm going to try and recall what happened back then ><

    and yay, i miss you too dear. (:

    ReplyDelete