'Tis true indeed, the Common Tests (though arguably not all that a common-sight) have finally met their due. Come forth the painted-faces and bread-winners, the streamers and the leg-warmers - the season of celebration and merry-making be nigh!
Though the period of high hopes and nonchalant sipping be short-lived, have we not the experience and expertise to make minutes seem like hours, and hours last for months? Can it be that our niche includes not the fine art of coaxing these fresh feelings on and on?
Herein lies the superhuman in all of us; to make the sad synonymous to the happy, to transform the disappointments into fuel for improvement, to convince ourselves that our fatigue and unworldly frustrations are part and parcel of worldly existence.
Not complaining.
********
Robert Gadling: I fought for the king in parliament's war. Big mistake, that was. I got careless, I got soft. Like the country... I've hated every second of the last eight years. Every bloody second. You know that?
Dream: And you still wish to live? Do you not seek the respite of death?
Robert Gadling: ... ... Are you crazy? Death is a mug's game. I got so much to live for.
- Neil Gaiman, The Sandman: The Doll's House
317 days
.
.
No comments:
Post a Comment