As the dampened dust bunnies fell dramatically from the window frames, I felt in my heart a wave of disgust and sorrow. Squalid, pitiable, sickening was the state of the house of two Malay residents. They sat at the doorway as our busy, young hands manoeuvred about their little home, their faces grim, lips twisted in a sour scowl. Glimpses of their youth showed through their eyes - the windows to their souls - and I couldn't help but imagine younger, happier, confident versions of them. I pictured them in black and white. They looked better that way.
And most appallingly of all, I thought of myself and how I might one day wind up just like them if I wasn't careful. We never can be too careful anymore.
Unless we have God of course.
You're right. We need to do something. Because Singapore can't be a first-world nation, hiding away our shame in shoddy under-developed estates. Left to be forgotten, waited upon to die.
We need to bring God to all.
Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.
No comments:
Post a Comment