History trip to Cambodia was so much fun, heartbreaking at times, and ultimately, crazily unforgettable. Let me describe it to you in point form because much chatter makes us both weary.
1) Long Bus rides
I love bus rides, the longer the better. Especially riding through rural Cambodia, the view is just amazing. Soundtrack for the 6 hr bus ride: Los Lonely Boys, How Far is Heaven. When DJ Crakephertuey played 'How Far is Heaven', a little voice in my head immediately shouted out: THIS IS IT! This is Heaven! Just miles and miles of grassy meadows and paddy fields, with occasional palm trees and ever-friendly cows.

My bus ride companion, who always gives in to me and lets me sit by the window :) Don't know what I would have done without her.
As we passed through the province, everything came to a peaceful standstill; Everybody stopped and stared, the old turned their heads, the adults dropped their tools, the children skidded to a stop on their bicycles, the babies stared on, wide-eyed, the cows turned their sleepy heads. Even the fields seemed to hold their breath as our bus rumbled noisily down the dusty roads.



and this is what we do when bus rides get a little boring, which is hardly ever, but still. Yellow curtains are the best, they create the best lighting imaginable.
2) teenagers (scare the living shit out of me)
One thing you'd notice about Cambodians is how small they are. At first glance, I assumed they just had very few teenagers around, because the people we saw were either toddlers, or so they seemed to me, and grown-ups, albeit skinny but still mature looking adults. Truth is, though, Cambodian teenagers, your 15, 16 and 17 year olds, stand just barely 4 feet off the ground.

The left is Srinit, the right is Srinop, 11 and 9 respectively. I may have gotten their names wrong but that's all I could get from their timid little whispers. They're sisters. they seem to really like peace. But I'm not complaining, no sir.
3) The killing fields and S-21
what can I say? The atrocities of the Khmer Regime could evoke no emotion in me as I stood there, picturing dark, dingy cells of screaming, bleeding, crying, dying people. What can I say, somehow the modern world has made me indifferent to all these stories, like there’s nothing I haven’t already heard and/or seen before. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. What can I say? Blame it on the rain.
4) Same Same, But Different
The sec 4s got together to buy this shirt, and it's by far, my favourite souvenir of Cambodia. The people there actually use this slogan, and oh, it's so funny. It's so funny and it's everywhere! EVERYWHERE I TELL YOU! Haha love you guys, and miss you guys so much <3


5) Adelle and her quest of everyday Polaroids
This is just day 3 and 5. Chris-Adelle Khaw (something something) forgot to bring extra film for her Polaroid camera and there were just 5 pieces of film left, so she decided to have a 'photo of the day' kinda scheme. Every Polaroid captured something significant for the day. Made remembering the good stuff a little easier. and I love Polaroids, so no harm. I guess sometimes a mistake can bring the greatest goods.
6) Good 'Ol buddy


Thanks for everything, Kaiying (: Will miss you. And stop feeling sorry for not spending enough time with me, you silly bugger! You did, and we had fun. Just try not to forget that. WE HAD FUN. No more frowny-faces, no more tears. It's not goodbye yet.
I miss Cambodia already.
P.S Cambodia had cable!
"The greatest thing in the world is just to love and be loved in return."-Moulin Rouge
No comments:
Post a Comment