Friday, April 4, 2014

Let me be the one to show ya

It's conversations like these that make me grateful that I don't have any responsibility to any boy. And I'm perfectly fine if it stays that way.

Watching TV because it's raining and it's 5PM. No one wants to go home in that. The Voice is on TV and some bare-bellied cheerleaders with their blue and silver pom-poms come on screen.

X: *sniggers* I hate cheerleaders. These kinds at least. They're so stupid. They're just... (laughs) I don't know a better word than 'stupid'
N: where do you get your impression of cheerleaders from?
X: huh?
N: how do you know that to be true about cheerleaders?
X: from the media la
N: (grins) ya so? How accurate is the media?

Rhetorical question. At this juncture, I thought for sure he'd catch on. The media distorts reality, that's how it makes its content marketable. Instead of recognising this, he starts getting heated up. But really, he should know better than to argue media with a media student. But he doesn't know that. He thinks I'm in Accountancy. Even calls me a liar when I say I'm not.

X: what? What kind of question is that? It doesn't matter how accurate it is. Sooner or later, it's inevitable - it becomes true to you.

I don't really know what he's arguing at this point. But I choose to humour him.

N: But you're saying that cheerleaders are stupid because the media show them to be as such. But the media are not reliable.

"Media" is plural. It's very jarring. But Media Effects class has helped me to come to terms with that.

X: it's not important whether or not it's accurate!
N: But whatever you said about the cheerleaders may not be true!
X: well, I don't care.

It's not verbatim, this part, because I really, till this point, don't understand the point he was trying to make. But he does end off with a 'I don't care'. So, I take that as cue to shut up and watch TV.

He refuses to let it go.

X: you so free ah? I always see you so free.

He sneers and I just shrug and continue staring at Usher's dimples. I don't have any words for his snarky ignorance. He persists.

X: Raffles girl. What is NTU to you?

Probably got that tip off "the media" as well.

X: why NTU anyway? 
N: why not?
X: why la? That's not a good response to a question
N: But in asking that, you obviously had-
X: no! no no no I don't. Like really, why?

At this point, I just wished he'd go away. So I shrug. "I don't know," I say, hoping that he'd take a hint and stop talking.

X: you're in Accountancy right?
N: no
X: BLUFF!

(omg just stop talking, you piece of soap)

He proceeds to ask me about my specialisation and the mods that I am currently taking, as if to throw me off my hoax, stumble me up somewhere when I can't give him answers. Well, I don't. And he's not too sure whether I'm still lying  because I answer all this little questions with such nonchalance. He's not sure if I'm a very good liar or just telling the truth.

I save him the agony by leaving the room.

And I tell myself that this is not a result of PMS. This is me recognising that it's ok to wait a little longer for the right person. I'm just not too sure if she's gonna figure that one out for herself any time soon, or at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment