The scene wasn't anything out of the ordinary - bossman sitting huddled with ting-tings in our corner of the Creatives' clump. But as I approached them, it became clear to me that they were talking about the printer pitch - the pitch that I am on. The pitch that ting-tings is not on. Or at least not yet.
Annoyance ebbed in my temples. I contemplate turning about my heels and walking away but can't figure out how to do so without appearing extremely awkward and clumsily conspicuous. So, I sidle into my chair and hope silently that they change the subject. "Don't Be That Guy..." I hear bossman explain the idea we coined together.
'Why is he telling ting-tings about printer?' I think to myself. 'Is it to get him in on the pitch or is it because they're BFFs and they tell each other everything?'
Bossman talks in a barely audible baritone but considering that I am sitting less than a metre away and not completely deaf, scraggly parts of their conversation are made apparent to me. Deciding that I didn't want to be able to hear what they were talking about, I gather my stationery and calmly walk to greyes to begin brainstorming.
The reasons for my disdain are not noble. They're not sophisticated. I just feel like we don't need ting-tings, OK? Fine, I'll admit, he's bloody good at his job. But we're managing fine! (Or at least I say that because I want to believe that I can manage without him). I want bossman to think that greyes and I are a good enough team for him. I don't want ting-tings to come in all suave and polite to save the day with his genuine-man charm and false friendship. I don't want to have to work with him again.
I don't want to work with him again and relive all the moments when I thought we were friends just to have them stripped from me the moment the work ends. Of course I'll have to work with him again in the two years I plan to be here. But not at this moment. Not now.
Please. I don't want to do this.
(Names of people and things have been changed to protect the identity and reputation of everyone involved.)
No comments:
Post a Comment